Saturday, March 10, 2012

Candida and Hormone Balance

Well, today is usually the day that I post something about what I've learned on The Naked Face Project this week. However, I have nothing for you as of now. The topic that I've been working on this week is make-up, but I haven't formulated my thoughts yet. So, instead you get a seemingly random post about Candida and Balancing your Hormones.

---

For the past month I've been having really strange symptoms, such as: random dizzy spells, increased brain fog, extreme tiredness (no amount of sleep makes it go away) and for the past two weeks I've had a constant metal taste in my mouth.

Since having Baby A, I joke that when I gave birth, I must have given birth to my will power, too, because I keep having uncontrollable sugar and carb cravings, which I never experienced when pregnant. But in all reality, I know this isn't a "will power" or "mind over matter" issue. I am an extremely strong woman and succeed whenever I put my mind to something. This was instead a biological issue going on within my body, I just didn't know exactly what.

I was trying to control all my health issues without a care provider, because the two Dr's I had been seeing didn't seem to match my needs.

My natural Dr: treated the problem not the symptoms (which is a good thing), muscle tested my body for proper dosages and supplements, focused on healing my body with food/diet (which you know I love!) and stayed away from the use of medication. However, he never did blood testing and I felt he was "shooting in the dark" when it came to my hormones and how to balance them.

My endometriosis Dr: lives in another state, treated the problem not the symptoms (again a good thing), did blood testing and adjusted my medication based on the numbers. However, he only used medication, never natural forms of healing like diet and supplements.

Enter Dr Larson.

My much-trusted friends attended a free seminar given by Dr Larson titled, "Mastering Hormone Balance for Women". What they learned, they were so excited about that they just couldn't wait to share it with me. Everything he taught was things I'd apparently dealt with. And he appeared to be a the perfect marriage between my two Dr's; Dr Larson treats the problem not the symptoms. He does all kinds of tests to find the problem as well as see if the supplements are working, such as: muscle tests, blood tests, urine tests and saliva tests. His initial consultation is free. His tests are at cost. And his supplements will vary, but his ultimate goal is to eventually get your body working optimally so he can get you off the supplements.

I liked what I was hearing and figured I couldn't lose anything if I went in for my free consultation. He made a lot of sense during that hour and I felt like he could really help me. Plus, his pricing for everything seemed to be about half of what I was paying currently. So, I pulled the trigger on starting to work with him.

Here's my current game plan: gather information. We need to know what's going on with my body, as a whole picture, so the first step is to run lots and lots of tests. Here are the tests I'll be doing:

1. Blood Test - This is a 12-hr fasting blood test done at my local hospital's lab. He will be testing the following: ALT, AST, Cholesterol, Triglyceride, Direct Measure HDL, LDL, Glucose, Creatinine, Estimated GFR, Blood Urea Nitrogen, Hemoglobin, Serum Iron, Hemoglobin A1C, CRP Inflammation, 25 OH Vitamin D, Serum Ferritin, ESR, T3 Free, Thyroxine Free, TSH, Thyr Peroxidase Aby, Reverse T3, Thyroglobulin Antibody and Anti-Candida Antibody.

2. Expanded Female Hormone Saliva Panel - This you do at home over the course of a full female cycle, then you mail in the saliva tubes and pay the lab directly.

3. Thyroid Test - This is another at home test that you do by taking your temperature for 10 days.

4. Candida Yeast Test - This is another at home test. You test your spit in water. Pretty simple. (keep reading for the complete test!)

5. Heavy Metal Test - I have yet to do this one, but it's scheduled for during my next office visit, after all the above tests have been done.

Once all the tests have been completed and we have a picture of my health as a whole we'll know how to treat each issue.

----

When I met with Dr Larson, there was some suspicion that I may have a Heavy Metal Toxicity, due to the metal taste in my mouth. There was also a suspicion that I was suffering from Candida.

Candida is very common among women with endometriosis, but I've never been tested for it before. Dr Larson explained that I was absolutely right in saying that my uncontrollable sugar and carb cravings were something going on within my body. Hence, why he suspected Candida.

So, this morning I took the test. And I totally failed it.

Are you suffering from Candida? 

Here's the test! Check yourself!


FREE AND EASY CANDIDA YEAST TEST

Might I have a problem with Candida Yeast?
You can try this simple test to find out.

First thing in the morning, before you put ANYTHING in your mouth, fill a clear glass with room temperature Bottled Water.

Work up a bit of saliva, then spit it into the glass of water. Check the water every 15 minutes or so for up to one hour.

If you have a potential problem, you will see strings (like legs) traveling down into the water from the saliva floating on the top, or "cloudy" saliva will sink to the bottom of the glass, or cloudy specks will seem to be suspended in the water.

[image source]
If there are no strings and the saliva is still floating after at least one hour, you probably have Candida under control, and have nothing to worry about. Congratulations.

What can I do if the test shows positive?
Talk this over with your health care provider, as soon as possible.

Be aware that a Candida Yeast problem can be pretty difficult to deal with, especially after it has had enough time to get established and be causing you problems.

It may not be easy, and it may take awhile to impact the situation, be patient, and work on it everyday.

Your good health is at stake!

Common symptoms of Candida that I have been experiencing are as follows: abdominal gas and bloating, headaches and migraines, excessive fatigue, anxiety, cravings for sweets, inability to think clearly and poor memory, mood swings and irritability, diarrhea or constipation, acne, depression, PMS, dizziness, indigestion and acid reflux

----

If you live in the Minnesota area and are interested in attending one of Dr Larson's free Mastering Hormone Balance for Women seminars, here is the information below...

Mastering Hormone Balance for Women
Join Dr. John W. Larson, DC as he shares his years of experience as an expert in nutrition, natural health and hormone balance. You will learn:

  • How to stop suffering with the symptoms of menopause, or uncomfortable monthly cycles
  • How your female hormone imbalance may be the cause of your thyroid problems or slow metabolism
  • How one simple nutrient could reduce the rates of breast cancer by 50% or more
  • Why bio-identical hormones may not be the best answer for you to achieve hormone balance
  • The effect of diet, stress and toxins on hormones
  • And much more...one of the best seminars you will ever attend on female hormone balance!

Seminar Dates and Times:
Thursday, March 22: 6:30pm-8:00pm
Tuesday, April 3: 6:30pm-8:00pm
Saturday, April 21: 9:00am-10:30am

Join one of the 3 seminar dates listed above. Attendance is FREE but seating is limited. Call today to reserve your seat at: 763-241-5436. Healing Choices Natural Healthcare.

What others are saying about this seminar:
"This is information that every woman should know!" ~K.S., St. Francis, MN

"You can apply this information to your own life." ~A.H., MN

"I learned what factors contribute to hormone imbalances." ~R.C., Elk River, MN

"It was excellent! The information is essential for good health. Very interesting and informative." ~J.E., Princeton, MN

"Great info that Dr's don't have time in a typical Dr's visit to discuss with patients." ~J.T., Zimmerman, MN

"I really enjoyed the information and laid back, almost conversational format." ~K.F., Cedar, MN

"It takes the mystery out of the hormone confusion." ~S.V., Anoka, MN

"Life Changing!" ~S.F., Nowthen, MN


Stop letting your hormones control you...and take back control of your body with effective natural approaches to improve hormone balance!

Please leave questions in the comment section if you have any. I know this is a topic that most, if not all, of us women deal with.

All information provided in this post was courtesy of Healing Choices Natural Healthcare out of Elk River, MN.