Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Perfect Summer Salad

Well, I'm in my 34th week of pregnancy, but I don't think this baby is going to last through to the full 40 weeks. Earlier this week, I had 16 contractions in 2 hours. But, they started to get farther and farther apart, so I didn't call the midwives. Today, I woke up and baby was noticeably lower (at least to me). I can feel her head in between my hips and her kicks are lower in my belly (and way more powerful)! I'm also getting up about 5 times a night to pee, instead of the usual 3. Won't be long now!!!

34 weeks
Total Weight Gained: +0 lbs

It's been in the 90's in MN the past 2 days & I've been stuck in the a/c. (I tend to get headaches from the sun/heat & I didn't want to chance dehydration being 8.5 months pregnant.) I HATE having the a/c on. I need the warm air, cool breeze, smell of of lilac bushes and the birds songs. It's like an anti-depressant in nature form! I was so excited to see that today was going to be sunny & 78 degrees! A/C went off and windows/doors are open. Ahhh.... much better. :)

So, it's no surprise that today I was craving a salad. And I ate the most perfect summer salad ever, thanks to Caitlin! My recipe is the exact same thing as her's, only with amounts of each ingredient attached to it. Plus, I made my own Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette from this site.

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, my camera is currently MIA. :(

The Perfect Summer Salad
Yields: 1 serving
  • 1-2 c organic Baby Spinach
  • 1 c organic Strawberries, sliced
  • 1 c Watermelon, chopped
  • 1 oz Goat Cheese, crumbed (I used Honey Goat Cheese)
  • 6-10 Cashews, raw
Mix and enjoy with a slice of bread & butter or 1 c organic whole milk. Top with Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette (recipe below).

Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette
modified from this recipe; Yields: 1 serving
  • 1/16 c Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp Chives, minced (I used freeze-dried chives)
  • 1/4 tsp Parsley, dried
  • 1/2 tsp Mayonnaise
  • 1/4 tsp Mustard
  • 1/4 c Olive Oil, extra virgin
  • Sea Salt, to taste (I used a pinch)
  • Black Pepper, freshly ground, to taste
Whisk all ingredients together. Serve immediately.