Monday, August 15, 2011

3-weeks postpartum: The Elimination Diet for Colic

Week 3 has definitely been a test of my DH & my patience. Not only have we discovered Baby A has a case of infant reflux, but she also has colic. It's not infrequent for her to scream for hours on end with no way in sight of soothing her. We got her on Zantac & have taken her in for a chiropractic adjustment. I also have an appointment with the Kinesiologist for her, but we couldn't get in until August 16th. In the meantime, I contacted their office & asked what I could do between now & then. He put me on the Elimination Diet for Breast Feeding & Colic. Until further notice, my diet is now the following...

FRUITS
Apples, fresh or frozen berries, cherries. Avoid all other fruits & fruit juices.

VEGETABLES
All except onions, celery, cucumber, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, garlic, asparagus, cress, bok choy, corn, creamed vegetables, white & red potatoes.

STARCH/BREAD/CEREAL
Rice, oats, millet, quinoa, amaranth, tapioca, buckwheat. Avoid wheat, corn, barley, spelt, kamut, rye, all gluten-containing products.

LEGUMES
All beans & lentils except peas, soybeans, tofu, tempeh, soy milk, other soy products.

NUTS & SEEDS
All nuts & nut butters except peanuts, peanut butter, pistachios, any nut roasted in peanut oil.

MEAT & FISH
Wild-caught salmon, organic chicken, turkey, wild game & lamb. Avoid beef, pork, cold cuts, frankfurters, sausage, canned meats, eggs, shellfish, tuna, freshwater fish.

DAIRY & MILK SUBSTITUTES
All milk substitutes such as rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk, other nut milks. Avoid milk, cheese, cottage cheese, cream, yogurt, butter, ice cream, frozen yogurt, "non-dairy" creamers.

FATS
Cold-pressed olive, flax, canola, safflower, sunflower, sesame, walnut, pumpkin or almond oils. Avoid margarine, butter, shortening, hydrogenated oils, mayonnaise, spreads, soybean oil, peanut oil.

BEVERAGES
Filtered water & herbal or green tea. Avoid all carbonated beverages, alcoholic beverages, coffee, black tea & other caffeinated beverages.

SPICES & CONDIMENTS
Sea salt & fresh ground black pepper. Avoid all other spices*, chocolate*, ketchup, mustard, relish, chutney, soy sauce, barbeque sauce, all other condiments & store bought sauces.
*Note: I've tried Thyme & Cocoa and neither seem to affect Baby A.

SWEETENERS*
Stevia. Avoid white or brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, corn syrup, candy & desserts made with these sweeteners.
*Note: I've tried Agave Nectar & small amounts of Evaporated Cane Juice (in milk substitutes & some nut butters) and neither seem to affect Baby A.

Please note that this diet is being done under the supervision of a health care professional. You should not attempt to do a diet like this on your own!


----

As far as breast feeding has been going, I've still been pumping mostly, but sometimes I want the close connection that breast feeding allows you & so I'll attempt to feed her. Sometimes she does really great, other times it's a struggle the whole feeding.

----

So, what have I been eating that is Elimination Diet friendly?




Chocolate Cinnamon Millet Flour Pancakes
Adapted from The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook's Rice Flour Pancakes


1 cup millet flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp corn-free baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp guar gum
1/4 tsp sea salt
1.5 cups almond or rice milk
1 flax egg: 3 tbsp ground flaxseeds whisked w/3 T boiling water
2 T melted virgin coconut oil + more for cooking
1 T agave nectar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Greens Superfood

Toppings (optional):
1 chopped apple
almond butter
maple-flavored agave nectar

In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Whisk the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently mix together. Heat a 10" skillet over medium heat. Add a little virgin coconut oil for cooking (note: this is optional. I found that I didn't need it. When used, it creates a "crispier" pancake, but when not used, it's a "fluffier" pancake). When the pan is hot, add about 1/4 cup batter. Cook for about 1-2 minutes or until top begins to bubble, flip and cook for a minute or so more on the other side. Repeat this process until all the batter has been used. Top each pancake with almond butter, chopped apple & maple-flavored agave nectar.

----

I still haven't gotten out much to walk, due to having a constantly inconsolable and fussy baby. However, the weight continues to be coming off.

5 Days Post-Baby
Wt Lost Since Delivery: 14 lbs
3 Weeks Post-Baby
Wt Lost Since Delivery: 27 lbs




A note about my weight loss:
Some people have voiced concerns about how much weight I've lost so quickly and I want to be clear here, that I'm doing absolutely nothing to lose this weight. This is what my body is naturally doing.

I am eating healthy & resting & walking when I can, but my walks are usually 5-15 minutes in length. Though I wish I could go running, my body simply isn't ready. I am still healing. I just delivered a baby!

When I got pregnant, I had some weight to lose. I had just started The Endo Diet 2-months prior to getting pregnant, which was a drastic change from the binge-sugar/fast-food diet that I was eating for years and years. While pregnant, my diet was tweaked by the Kinesiologist to avoid all things soy, sugar & corn. I also developed Gestational Diabetes and changed more eating habits, but was still maintaining a 2,000 calorie diet. All of this was done under the supervision of my Kinesiologist, Diabetes Educators & Endocrinologist. Because I changed all of these things while pregnant, I started to lose some of the weight while pregnant, which is why I only gained 5 lbs.

So, now that the baby is delivered, the weight that was lost while pregnant, still continues to come off. Again, I'm doing nothing to make this happen. I am continuing to eat a 2,000 calorie whole-foods diet under the supervision of my Kinesiologist.


----


Now, for some cuteness...
Does this diaper make my butt look big? :)