Monday, August 22, 2011

Lesson Learned

My family lives about 40 minutes from me and Saturday was my niece and nephew's birthday party. Following the birthday party, we decided spur of the moment, to spend the night at my brother's house. So, we made a pit stop at Target to get some extra diapers and wipes for Baby A and were on our way. As we were driving, I realized, I had no elimination-diet-friendly food with me and most people don't have that kind of stuff on hand. I also had very little cash, so I couldn't go to grocery store and stock up on what I needed. A girl has to eat, so I decided to just eat whatever was made.

Wrong choice.

I ate Buffalo Chicken Dip, Homemade Spinach Dip with Hawaiian Bread, frozen Pepperoni Pizza and Homemade Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Immediately following eating these items, I was sick to my stomach. My stomach hurt the whole night, the whole next day and I woke up last night with a headache, the chills and feeling like I was going to yak.

These were some of my favorite foods, pre-pregnancy and to be honest, they didn't even taste as good as I remember them. I could eat them all the time and never physically feel (or at least notice) the effects. This very thought made me ill. How could I have abused my body so badly by what I put in it that I didn't even notice the horrifying effects it now had on my body?

It amazes me that for the past year I've treated my body kindly and eaten mostly only healthy things to make it run the way God intended it to and that now, when I put junk food in it, it does.not.like.me.

Instead, I was happy to come home and get back to my healthy eating. Besides, who wouldn't want to eat something that tastes this yummy, is good for you, and won't make you sick for days afterwards?

Chocolate-Covered Katie's Chocolate-Raspberry Truffle Oats


I used 1/2 cup of oats, instead of the 1/3 cup recommendation. I also topped mine with dairy-free soy-free chocolate chunks, Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut Butter and Artisana's Coconut Butter. Lastly, I added Greens Mix and Rice Protein Powder before cooking, to make it a complete meal.