Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Golden

This past weekend was my golden birthday.

It was the best weekend ever!

It all started Thursday afternoon, though, when I got a text message from my husband saying he has a new boss and his new boss wanted to reward him for doing so good at work! He told him to take me out on the company card. It's so funny how God works, sometimes. I didn't even know I had the desire in my heart to go out to a fancy restaurant with my husband for my golden birthday, but apparently God did.

We even had a babysitter already, because friday afternoon my parents came and picked up my girls to take for the whole weekend, so just my honey and I could spend some time together.

Friday night I had some friends over, we fondued and played Court Whist. So fun! And best friend, Jen, knows me so well... look what she got me!

A Wusthof chef's knife!!!

Saturday was my actual birthday. I woke up with a massive migraine, so I rested most of the morning. My best friend from college bought me some fun bath stuff, so I thought I'd soak in a bath and see if that helped.

It did! So, I got myself all dolled up and ready to celebrate being 31!

First, we began the tour de free stuff.

First stop was Caribou Coffee where I ordered a Medium Dark Chocolate Turtle Mocha (not so hot).

And it was gooooooooodd!

Next we stopped at few more places, one of them being Denny's to get the FREE Grandslam Breakfast. We took it to go because we had a few more stops. We made a big donation to Goodwill, so we sat in their back parking lot (which overlooks a wooded area) and enjoyed the food.

Nothing like a Denny's breakfast in your car in the parking lot of your local Goodwill. Pure class. haha

The real fun began when we arrived at Hotel Sofitel, where the restaurant we chose to go to was located.

We chose to go to Colette!

This is the front of the house at Colette. And some of inside the restaurant. Everything in this restaurant is top notch, from the service to the food to the ambiance!
 

We ordered one of my favorite drinks...a Lava Flow. (the ones in Minnesota don't hold a chance against the ones in Hawaii!)

Then they brought out our bread basket. Three kinds of bread: French, Onion and hmm...sorry, I can't remember the last one, but it was good. Along with three kinds of dipping options: butter, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The balsamic vinegar was to die for!

Next, we decided to share the traditional French Onion Soup.

So, cheesy and soo good. We think this was made with some sort of turkey broth instead of beef broth.

Next, we our entrees.
 

DH ordered the Halibut on Ratatouille (pictured left) and I ordered the Filet Mignon with a Peppercorn Sauce (pictured right). Simple.To.Die.For.

Around this time, I overheard the gentlemen sitting at the table next to us say to his guest, "I just don't understand why people take pictures of their food." Clearly he was talking about me, since I'd been happily snapping away the entire night (without a flash, so I'm not sure why it was bothering him). I just laughed it off and when his dinner arrived, I jokingly said to my husband, "Should I ask him if I could take a picture of his food?" haha

Back to dinner. Or dessert, rather. I ordered the Vanilla Creme Brulee for my birthday dessert.

My husband couldn't decided so, he ordered two! Gosh, I love him.

Cheesecake Pops - the chocolate one on the far left was ah-mazing and I'm not even a cheesecake fan.

Tour de Chocolate - Tiramisu, some sort of Coffee Torte and a Chocolate Mousse.

When we left we walked around a little bit and discovered this adorable little bakery tucked behind Colette.

After dinner, we headed home to watch the movie, "The Rum Diary" with Johnny Depp. Horrible movie. Very boring. Don't waste your time.

All in all, this was the best birthday weekend ever! I feel so blessed to have such amazing people in my life.