Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lemon Lemon

Yesterday was filled with lemony goodness.

You all know how I like to start my day with my infamous Breakfast Protein Shake. However, I can't have the whey protein that I usually enjoy in those shakes while on The Candida Diet. So, I made a new option!

Lemon Cookie Protein Shake

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 T Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein 15 grams
4-5 drops liquid stevia
1 tsp cold-pressed Coconut Oil
splash Lemon Extract

Notes: This tasted exactly like a lemon cookie! Hemp protein isn't exactly my favorite. It tastes likes peas to me. Not the first thing I want to be eating in the morning. But, with the lemon extract, I hardly noticed the pea taste. I'll be drinking this with the lemon extract from now on! (and might even experiment with different extracts, as well)


For dinner, we continued with the lemon theme.

PaleOMG's Lemon Poppyseed Waffles


Substitutions:
6-12 drops liquid stevia instead of raw honey
omit syrup
added a bit of water so the batter wasn't so dry

Notes: I love that these are loaded with protein-packed almond flour!


Since we are unable to eat any kind of syrup or honey at this time, I decided to get creative. I made my own topping and made my waffles into a strudel!

Lemon Icing

1-2 T raw coconut butter
3-4 drops liquid stevia
lemon extract, to taste

Heat up the coconut butter, so it's runny and has the consistency of icing. (I like to scoop out the amount I'll use into a microwave-safe dish and cook at 50% heat in 15-30 second intervals. This helps prevent burning the coconut butter.) Once you have the right consistency, add 1 drop of liquid stevia at a time, tasting after each drop until you get the right sweetness. Then repeat with the lemon extract.

Notes: This was excellent on my Lemon Poppyseed Waffles and made it more strudel-like. This would also be good as an icing on top cookies or muffins, or just eating it straight off your spoon! Of course, I didn't do that. ;-)


My DD is still able to eat sugar freely (we, of course, monitor that) so we gave her this recipe to top her waffles with. I was incredibly jealous.

Our Best Bites' Buttermilk Caramel Syrup


Substitutions:
raw honey instead of corn syrup

Notes: I first heard about this recipe when my dear friend Janelle made it for us after our All Things New team sleepover! (Yes, we still have adult sleepovers. What's wrong with that?! ;-)) It was to die for! So, I knew I needed to make it again. I didn't know if would work with the honey, but it worked out just fine. I didn't substitute the sugar, because I honestly wasn't sure that any other sugar would dissolve into a creamy syrup for me, but when I'm able to have coconut sugar again, I may try this recipe again using that.

Speaking of All Things New, I just wanted to plug one last reminder that today is the very last day to register for this event! Did you know that our entire team does these events on a volunteer basis? Why do we do it? Because each of us has been to a similar event and had our lives totally and completely changed by them. We believe in the message and we believe that women can experience the same freedom that we did from these events. Please consider attending. Your life will never be the same. And you don't have to live in Minnesota! Make it a weekend vacation away with a friend or two!


Okay, back to the food!

I think yesterday I must've been on a breakfast/brunch/brinner kick, because this is what we had for lunch!

Whole Life Nutrition's Morning Millet Cereal

1 cup millet, whole
4 cups water
pinch sea salt

First rinse the millet in a fine mesh strainer under warm running water for a minute or two. Drain off any excess water. Then place millet into a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Stir and keep millet moving in the pan so the moisture will evaporate, about 5-10 minutes. Once this process is complete place millet into an electric grinder and grind into a fine powder.

Place ground millet into a medium saucepan with the four cups of water and pinch of sea salt. Whisk together then turn heat to medium high and continue whisking until bubbling. Turn heat to low and continue to stir occasionally until cereal has thickened and millet is cooked, about 15 minutes.

Substitutions:
already ground millet instead of whole millet - it skips the entire first step! If you do this, make sure you use about 1 and 1/4 cups of ground millet instead of the 1 cup whole millet.

Note: Millet has a lot of flavor on its own, so you really don't need to top it with anything. However, I like to make an (almost) complete meal out of mine, so I topped it with Cinnamon Vanilla Sunbutter (see below for recipe) and some Raw Coconut Butter.


Cinnamon Vanilla Sunbutter
Getting tired of the same old plain Sunbutter? Why not spice it up a bit! This recipe was inspired by Naturally Nutty's Organic Cinnamon Vanilla Sunflower Butter.


1 jar Sunbutter Organic Unsweetnened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp stevia powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon

First start by adding your vanilla extract. Stir well. Taste and adjust to your liking. Then repeat with the stevia powder. Lastly, repeat with the cinnamon.


Did you know that you can freeze avocados? I didn't believe it the first time I saw it either! So, I had to try it! And guess what? It worked!!!

The trick is that you have to use them right away as they start to thaw out from the freezer, cause they turn brown on hyper-speed after being in the freezer!

For snack, I filled myself with one of those delicious avocados.

Detoxinista's Vanilla-cado Milkshake


Notes: If you're craving a thick, creamy, milkshake and dairy is not what the Dr ordered, this is a great alternative! You can even play with the flavors by adding different flavored stevia or perhaps some lemon extract? ;-)