Wednesday, October 13, 2010

30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know

1. The illness I live with is: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome & Endometriosis

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2008
3. But I had symptoms since: I was a 9 years old, masked by birth control for most of my teenage years/twenties

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: My entire lifestyle, but mostly making peace w/the idea that I may never have another child

5. Most people assume: I have surgeries because of infertility or that I can just go on the pill to make it all go away. However, I live in daily pain that gets worse if I don't have surgery. And going on the pill only masks symptoms, not the problem, and it doesn't do a very good job of that. Plus, the pill can cause abortions.

6. The hardest part about mornings are: getting going... I'm tired ALL THE TIME, despite how much sleep I get.

7. My favorite medical TV show is: I don't watch medical tv shows.

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: my pill organizer

9. The hardest part about nights are: not getting good quality sleep; I wake often

10. Each day I take at least 16 pills (This is an improvement from the 20-some I WAS taking)

11. Regarding alternative treatments I: have completely changed my diet & am seeking out a Naturopathic doctor. I also see a Chiropractor 2x/month, have done Acupuncture, occasional massages & changed to natural personal products. I also have seen a Therapist 2x/month & pray constantly.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: Neither. 

13. Regarding working and career: I am mostly able to work, but occasionally a few days per month I need to rest from the severity of the pain, so I put on a video for the kiddos.

14. People would be surprised to know: I'm not as strong and I let on. I've already had 3 surgeries. I've had 2 miscarriages that are a direct result of my illnesses.

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: That there is no cure. I'll be facing this for the rest of my life.

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: change my lifestyle... eating, exercise, outlook, etc

17. The commercials about my illness: Don't think I've ever seen a commercial about my illnesses???

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: nothing that I can think of; I haven't let these diseases stop me from anything!

19. It was really hard to have to give up: dairy! Trying to have babies.

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: hip hop dance class 1x/week. I'm having a blast!

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: try my hardest to make a baby!!! Sorry, was that TMI? :)

22. My illness has taught me: I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.

23. Want to know a secret? I get angry w/God about my situation often. (Don't worry, He can take it!)

24. But I love it when people: who are dealing w/something similar come to me for support. 

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: I don't have just one favorite. I usually have something inspirational that gets me through each day.

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: I understand what they're dealing with.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: How much closer together it's actually brought my husband & me

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: come visit me; send flowers; etc.

29. What have you done to help others: started a blog; continue to be open about my illnesses/struggles, so they know they're not alone; pray!; listen!

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: loved & validated

Most photos courtesy of stock.xchng