Friday, November 12, 2010

Baked Oatmeal & Mini Santa Fe Casseroles

Life has been slightly chaotic lately with being just over 4 weeks pregnant. I've fallen way too lax with my "healthy eating" and NEED to get back to being more strict. I feel better and now there's a little Nugget inside me that is looking to me for a healthy start to life! What better motivation than that? So, I started this day right. I had some Baked Oatmeal w/a Virgin Green Monster (recipe under my "Recipes" section).


Baked Oatmeal
Adapted from PCI Provider's Voice * Vol 26 * #1 * Fall 2010

2 c uncooked oats
1/3 c Sucanat
1/3 c raisins
1 T chopped walnuts
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 c Almond Milk
1/2 c applesauce
2 T soy-free Earth Balance, melted
1 flax egg (1 T ground flaxseed, mixed w/1/4 c water)
dash of cinnamon and/or nutmeg (optional)
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Combine the milk, applesauce, butter and flax egg. Add milk mixture to oat mixture; stir well. Pour oat mixture into an 8" square baking dish coated w/cooking spray. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Serve warm. Cut into 8 squares.
--------

My breakfast tied me over until lunch, which is good, because I took the kids on a field trip today to our local nature center. They heard a story about an animal that got lost and then we hiked out in the woods and did some orienteering. On our way back, we picked up some leaves and sticks and the kids got to make a cool "My Autumn Book" out of our items, rubber bands and paper bags.

Lunch was sooooo yummy! The smell while making them was making me not want to wait for them to bake!


Mini Santa Fe Casseroles
Adapted from Caitlin's Recipe


1/2 c onion, chopped
1 T garlic, chopped
1 T EVOO
salt, pinch
1/2 T chili powder
1/2 T pepper, freshly ground
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 c rice milk
1.5 c basmati rice, cooked
2 organic eggs, beaten (2 white membranes removed)
1.5 c cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 green pepper, chopped
spinach, fresh

Heat oven to 350 & spray casserole dish w/EVOO spray. In a skillet, cook the onion, garlic & EVOO on medium-high until tender. Add the salt & chili powder. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the pepper, milk, beans COOKED basmati rice, eggs, cheddar cheese, green pepper & onion/garlic mixture. Pour into large muffin tins. Bake for 25 minutes or until center is firm. Serve atop fresh spinach. This made about 16 mini casseroles.

Note: my version above did not firm up. It started to crumble when I took it out of the pan. However, it didn't bother me, since I was going to crumble it over the spinach to eat it together anyhow. I messed up when I made my rice so it was a bit watery. That could've been the culprit. And I didn't measure my rice milk exactly, so I may have just had too much liquid. Either way, it still tasted SO amazing that I ate 3, yes 3, of the mini casseroles! :)

------------


A note about eggs:
My BFF informed me the other day, that an egg is NOT a baby chick. If you crack an egg, there is the yolk and the white, right? Well, if you look close enough, there's 2 WHITE stringy things on either side of the yolk. THOSE consist of the baby chick (or what would've been)... the yolk and clear parts are simply nutrients that would be given to the chick to help it grow. For some reason, this totally made me excited! I could eat eggs again! All I need to do, is remove the 2 WHITE things and we're only eating a nutrient source. :) So, this is how I reconciled my egg dilemma. Btw, you should make sure your eggs are ORGANIC. And P.S. If what I wrote above is not true, for some reason, please don't tell me! I want to enjoy my eggs! :)