Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Peanut Butter & Jelly Oatmeal

I love oatmeal.

I could eat it for every single meal. Seriously.


Especially, when I have such a cute little sous chef helping me make it. ;-)


According to The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook, "Oats help regulate blood sugar, regulate the thyroid, and sooth the digestive system. Oats also support the nervous system and improve resistance to stress."

Oats also contain fiber, which help to regulate your blood sugar by slowing down food digestion. Fiber also helps you feel fuller longer, so you're more satisfied after you eat it. ~Source

Check out this nutritional value, too! [source]
Note: Values are for 1 cup of cooked oatmeal, or approximately 1/2 cup dried oats. If you're a diabetic, that's 2 starch exchanges.

  • 4 grams of fiber (14% of the DRI)
  • 6 grams of protein (that 1 whole serving!)
  • small amounts of 18 different amino acids
  • NO cholesterol
  • Over 10% of the DRI for the vitamin Thiamin
  • 25% of the DRI for the mineral Phospherous
  • Over 15% of the DRI for the mineral Magnesium
  • 12% DRI Iron for women and 25% for men
With all of that goodness inside a bowl of oatmeal, what's not to love?!

I also love that's it a completely blank canvas. It's so easy to add additional protein, fruit and healthy fat!

Tip: Adding whole fruit to your oatmeal, like blueberries, eliminates the need for adding sugar!

So, that brings me today's recipe. 

Peanut Butter & Jelly Oatmeal
As you know, I'm still recovering from surgery. Today was my first day with my kids by myself for lunch, so I wanted something nutritious, but simple. I've been craving a Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich, but since I don't eat bread that wasn't an option. So, I satisfied my craving with this recipe and managed to stay away from all the junk that's found in bread.

1/2 cup dry gluten-free oats
3/4 cup filtered water
1T (heaping) organic, low-sugar fruit spread*
1T (heaping) natural, no-sugar-added peanut butter

Make oatmeal with water. Mix in the peanut butter & jelly and enjoy!

----

*As you know, normally I try to avoid eating foods with sugar added to it. But, my in-laws would be taking care of my kids for 5 days while we traveled for my surgery, so we bought this as something easy to make for the kids. 


If I were going to eat jelly, which I typically don't, I would recommend making your own and either using no sweetener (since fruit is naturally sweet) or adding stevia or raw honey as your sweetener. 


However, for store bought, this isn't too terrible. There are only 4 ingredients and they are all organic. The sweetener of choice is organic sugar, which is one of the better ones in terms of effects on blood sugar. Fruit Pectin has some awesome health benefits. And the last ingredient, citric acid (as an additive) is controversial about the effects on your health. Many say it's not harmful and others say it's derived from yeast and can affect candida or cause asthmatic allergic reactions. All in all, the Kirkland Organic Strawberry Spread is not a bad choice, if you're looking for jam. With that said, eating 1 cup of strawberries chopped up in your oatmeal or sliced on a sandwich, would be a better choice and more fulfilling.

And my absolute favorite peanut butter is Parker Farms, located right here in MN, and less than 1-hour from where I live. I love supporting local farmers!


Especially ones with awesome products! Check out this ingredient list...


Can't beat just peanuts and salt!

Now, I dare you to go in your fridge, pull out your jelly and your peanut butter, look at the ingredients list and google whatever ingredient you don't know. My guess is, you'll likely want to throw it in the garbage! 

Comment below and let me know what you find!!!