Friday, March 11, 2011

Homeschool & A Spinach-Egg-Grilled-Cheese-Sandwich

FAITH
As I mentioned before, I'm reading Revelations with a group of friends on Facebook. Today we read Revelations 17 and let me tell you, that was some crazy symbolic/metaphorical stuff! If you're down for an interesting read, read that chapter first and then read the commentary here. It will blow your mind!

FAMILY
Last night I met with a dear friend who Homeschool's her 5 children. (Bless her heart!) A year ago, I would've told you that I am NOT the Homeschool type. Today, God's started to change my heart. We are still not entirely sure what we are going to do, there are 5 different school options that we are considering...
1) Traditional Public School
2) Spanish Immersion Public/Charter School
3) A School that Doesn't Have Grades, but "Levels"
4) Christian-Montessori: 3-Days/Wk School, 2 Days/Wk Homeschool
5) Homeschool

Here are some of our reasons for Homeschool:
1) She can pursue her educational interests better
2) Freedom with time (vacations, field trips, etc)
3) Avoid peer pressure, competition & bullies (self-esteem stays in tact)
4) Religious freedom
5) Closer family relationships
6) Stability, in case of a move
7) Well-rested
8) No busywork/homework
9) Being w/my DD 24/7
10) She can still participate in sports
11) Plenty of support for Homeschoolers today
12) Safety
13) Learn at her own pace - no feeling "stupid" or being bored
14) I get to share in her successes with her

Here are some of our reasons for public/private schools:
1) No potential educational gaps
2) Learns from multiple people
3) Has to learn how to deal w/peer pressure, competition & bullies
4) Increase her attention span
5) Getting into & finding self-motivation for college
6) Learning to adjust to the "Real World"
7) Learning a 2nd language fluently, for potential mission trips (immersion school)
8) The overall "experience" of a school setting

So, this is a decision that's been weighing on me for quite some time. We still don't know what we're going to do. Any thoughts?

FITNESS/FOOD
Well, I finally made it to yoga! And it felt great! I was amazed at how much I could still do. Though final relaxation was a bit hard with little miss Adelyn kicking me the whole time! :) After yoga, I hit the grocery store, so I was on my feet for another good hour. By the time I got home, I was exhausted and my back hurt. The next morning, I was standing at the mirror putting on my make-up, when the room started fading out & going black. I sat down. When I stood up, it started again. I started to shake & feel nauseous. So, I gave my DD a quick lesson on how to dial 9-1-1, should she ever need to & went to stick my head outside the sliding glass door. I felt better, but the second I closed the door & started walking back over to the mirror, all the symptoms started in again. At this point, I got scared. I went to my bedroom to lie down & called my hubby at work. He had me test my blood sugar, which was fine. He had me check my pulse & temperature, and both were fine. I laid there until I felt better, then went on with my day. Eventually, it was discovered that I had a bout with dehydration and/or low blood pressure. Yikes! Um yeah...note to self...DRINK WATER when you exercise or are on your feet a lot! Geez!

So, my blood sugars have been all over the place still. It put me in a bit of a funk this morning (among other things). It's really frustrating to be exercising & eating right and still you can't control how your body is breaking down sugar. Ugh. I have to meet with my Diabetes Educator early next week, but I fear that she is going to put me on insulin. :( For my believer readers, please PRAY!!! I just finished up with progesterone injections, I don't want to do more shots! Not to mention, should I need insulin, my chances of this sticking around after the baby & developing into Type II Diabetes are greatly increased. The whole thing depresses me.

On a lighter note, I had the most yummy sandwich for lunch today & paired it with half an apple. I was FULL after this meal!

So this isn't the best picture, but I promise this is YUMMY!

Spinach & Egg Grilled Cheese Sandwich
2 slices of whole-grain bread
1 slice of organic cheese
1 organic egg
handful of organic spinach
organic butter or soy-free Earth's Balance

Spread the butter on 1 side of each slice of your bread. Put the butter-side down on a flat skillet over medium heat. Top 1 slice of bread with the spinach. Top the other slice of bread with the cheese. Cook the egg, leaving the yolk somewhat runny. When the egg is done, place it on top of the spinach-topped bread. Put the 2 pieces of bread together. The cheese will melt, the spinach will wilt a little and the runny egg with ooze out with each bite! Delicious!

Note: I am fully aware that pregnant women (or all people, in general) should not consume raw egg. I just don't care! :)

FRIENDS/FUN
One of my BFF's moved 2 hours north several months ago. It's been hard being able to see each other. She recently purchased a house and we had plans to go up and see it this weekend. Unfortunately, my husband and I dropped the ball and completely forgot that we needed to find care for our dog. Oops! Soooo, our plans got cancelled. Bummer. Big bummer. I was so looking forward to some FRIENDS and some FUN.

Ah well, I guess I'll have to make my own fun this weekend...a movie tomorrow with the family and Trader Joe's. Perhaps I'll curl up with one of my 5 books that I'm reading...
1) Teach Your Child to Read in Just 10 Minutes a Day
2) Raising Your Spirited Child
3) Siblings Without Rivalry
4) Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
5) Financial Peace, Revisited