Saturday, September 3, 2011

Guest Post: The Whitson Granola


When I first had Baby A, one of my closest friends, Jonell, was kind enough to bring me some homemade granola. The granola was so delicious, that I asked her if she'd be a guest poster and share her recipe with us. Enjoy!

----

Hi, I'm Jonell! I am on a food journey and have at times been more committed to eating right, and that as of right now I am realizing again just how important that it is and as I am able to focus a little more energy into what we eat again following adjusting to kid #2:-)  I love recipes that make me want to eat right because they taste SO GOOD.  Like the granola, which is also fun to adjust based on whims of fancy- like using cocoa powder to flavor the granola without adding too many calories or carbs.


THE Whitson Granola

1 c. canola oil (or coconut, etc.)
1 c. honey
1 Tb. vanilla
1 small container quick rolled oats
1 1/2 c. sunflower seeds
2 c. wheat germ
1 (+) c. fine flake coconut
1 c. pumpkin seeds
1 c. chopped pecans, walnuts, etc.
1 1/2 c. flax meal

Preparations:
1. Warm oil, honey, and vanilla in microwave
2. Mix together dry ingredients
3. Pour heated misture over dry ingredients and stir together well
4. Bake at 325, stirring every 15 minutes until golden brown (about 45-50 mintes)

VARIATIONS: And here is where I have had some fun.  You really can't go wrong.

Chocolate Granola: Add 2 Tb Cocoa powder to the dry ingredients, and a few mini chocolate chips if you want.  I also put in sliced almonds, the coconut, and pecans into this mix.

Cinnamon Coconut: Add 2 tsp cinnamon to the dry ingredients, and a cup of coconut after baking (enhanced coconut flavor)

Coconut Macademia Nut: Add 2 cups coconut and Macademia nuts to the dry ingredients.  Add 2 tsp coconut extract to the heated mixture.

AND I'm sure you could do a lot more!  I'm right now playing with the idea of a Maple flavored batch with either maple extract or maple syrup (and pecans, probably).  I also confess that I do not usually put the sunflower seeds in, as it has too strong of a "nut" flavor for me when I do (it's like it is too early for sunflower seeds?.  I also haven't found pumpkin seeds for a reasonable price, but Trader Joe's has Pampinilla seeds, which are kind of similar.

This recipe really is delicious and I hope it appeals to you, too! 
-Jonell