Thursday, October 4, 2012

Field Trip: Chicken Farm

Today was a homeschool field trip day. We travelled to my good friend and fellow ministry partner's farm.


Ok, so it's just a hobby farm, but they have cats, a dog and chickens! The chicken-part was new to me. So, imagine my excitement when I able to pick freshly laid chicken eggs and take them home!!!

The very next day, I decided to do a little experiment and see the difference between my Kirkland Organic Vegetarian-Fed Eggs and my friends' Free-Range Eggs. See for yourselves the difference...


Which do you think is which?

The darker (and larger) yolks, on right, are from my friends' farm. 

So, what's the difference?

Several sources indicate that the more orange (and thus, less yellow) a yolk is, the more access the hens had to bugs, worms and plants and the more nutrient-dense their diets were. You can trust these hens are truly free range. The yolk color, however, does not mean that they are more nutritious. Regardless of yolk or shell color, eggs are a great source of Vitamin A.
Sources: Ca.Uky.EduEggland's Best

----

As most of you know, my DD is obsessed with Little House on the Prairie. I knew she'd be delighted if she could search for and pick her own eggs! So, my friend (who also homeschools) and I arranged for a "Pioneer Days"-themed day.

It was a bit windy and cold, so we scratched the theme, but the kids had a blast none-the-the-less.


First, I must show you some pictures of their lovely farm-style house!




Then, you can meet some of the chickens, one of which is lovingly named, "Sally".



And now you see my DD's first experience with gathering her own eggs!

The barn where the chicken coop is located.

Peeking her head cautiously into the chicken coop.

Got her first egg!

Found the hidden nest! Sneaky little chickens.

Found another one!

The final loot!

Thanks again to my friend, for letting us visit your chicken farm and taking home some of your delicious eggs!