Sunday, December 4, 2011

Circuit Training: Week 1

Week one is (almost) done!

I took my 2nd rest day earlier this week, so I need to use today as a make-up day. But, otherwise, I've completed 3 days of intense circuit training and 1 day of Zumba! I love Zumba!

Here's the latest and greatest circuit training workout I did on Friday.


Friday





Week 1

Weight
CIRCUIT ONE
Set 1
Set 2
Set 3
Notes

5# DB
DB Chest Press
15 / 15 
15/ 15 
15 / 15 
Rt elbow pain?

15# Bar
Hack Squats
15 / 15
15/ 15 
15 / 15 










CIRCUIT TWO





5# DB
DB Chest Flys
15 / 15 
15/ 15 
15 / 15 
^ weight

6# DB
Sumo Squats
15 / 15 
15/ 15 
15 / 15 










CIRCUIT THREE





-
Bench Dips
15 / 15 
15/ 15
13 / 15 
Hypnobirthing!

30# M
Leg Extensions
15 / 15 
15/ 15 
15 / 15 










CIRCUIT FOUR





15# M / 5# DB   
Shoulder Press
15 / 15 
15/ 15 
15 / 15 
Problem w/Seat

-
Jumping Jacks
35s / 1m
45s / 1m
1 / 1m
Hypnobirthing!

-
Basic Crunches
15 / 15
15/ 15 
15 / 15 










CIRCUIT FIVE





6# DB / 3# DB
Kick-backs (L)
15 / 15 
x / 15
15 / 15
Wrong Move!

6# DB
Kick-backs (R)
15 / 15 
x / 15
15 / 15
Cramp in Rt Back

-
Jump Rope
1 / 1m
1 / 1m
1 / 1m


-
Reverse Crunches
15 / 15      
15/ 15      
15 / 15    
Separate Knees














This was a tough workout and for some reason my joints hurt the day after: ankles, elbows, wrists and fingers. Any suggestions? 
  • I used my notes from the last time I did a few of these exercises, like the Leg Extension, and increased weight on a lot of them. As you can see, I was pretty right on! 
  • I still needed to use Hypnobirthing to get through my Bench Dips and Jumping Jacks. Man, are those hard! 
  • I was having problems with adjusting the seat on the machine for the Shoulder Press and the least amount of weight you can lift on the machine was 15#. I was having a hard time even getting through 5 reps and felt like my form wasn't correct because of the seat. So, I improvised... I grabbed 5# DB's and did the shoulder press that way instead. 
  • I got to the Kick-backs and halfway into my 2nd set I realized I was doing One-Arm Lawnmower Rows instead of Kick-backs. So, on the 3rd set I switched to 3# DB's and did the Kick-backs. Oops. 
  • Initially, I wasn't feeling my Reverse Crunches in the abs but rather in the legs; but then realized that if I separate my knees a little bit, instead of keeping them together when I bring them up, I started to feel it in the right spot. 


Ok, now...


Are you ready for the before and after progress photos? I am so excited to show them to you!

 


 

 

The Results:

  • Gained 1 lb of muscle
  • Lost 1/2" off my waist
  • Lost 1" off my hips
  • Lost 1/4" off my right arm

So, just looking at the pictures, it doesn't appear like anything has changed, correct? And if I was merely going by my weight, it would appear that I've gained weight this week, correct? This is why I'm doing all three: weight, measurements and pictures. Sure, I gained 1 lb, but look at the inches I've lost in places! That can only mean that weight that I've gained is pure muscle! That I can get excited about!!!

Too many people focus solely on what the scale says. That gets you in trouble. This journey for me is about my health, not my weight. And I admit, I randomly weighed myself throughout the week and started to get discouraged by the number I was seeing. I have contemplated getting rid of my scale altogether, because in the past, that number determined my success and would send me into binge-eating and an all-or-nothing mentality. Thank God I didn't do that this time! Transforming your body takes hard work, effort and time. It's a great lesson in patience.

Bottom line is: my goal in all of this is be healthy and transform my body into working at it's optimal potential. I'd say I'm well on my way!


How do I keep away from all the Christmas cookies and birthday cake (Happy Birthday to my sweet Izzy, who turns 5 today!)?

Answer: I don't. Ok that's not entirely true. I find healthy alternatives, too, that satisfy.

Here's a couple examples from this week:

1. My in-laws brought a huge Sam's Club round Chocolate Cake with whipped frosting to our house so they could celebrate my DD's birthday with her. I allowed myself 1, very small sliver, of the cake. Guess what? I didn't like it. The frosting is not my favorite. The cake was just ok. So, the cake has been sitting on my counter ever since and I've had no desire to touch it again. In the past, I would've devoured it, just because it was sugar. Not anymore. I only indulge in the sweets that I really want.

2. My in-laws brought 2 large containers full of Christmas goodies. First thing I did was ask my husband to take them to work or to hide them. When I felt strong enough to handle it, I asked him to get my 1 specific treat out of the goodie bin. It was a "cake pop" without the "pop" part. It was good. And I savored it. Until... I found the stash. Darn. I proceeded to take 1 bite from every single treat in there. (Yes, I did leave them in the container with a bite out of them. LOL) Reason? I wanted to know what I really liked and what I didn't. Then I ate 3 different cookies. Only the ones I truly liked. Did I feel guilty? A little bit. But, I got over it really fast. Just like with the cake, I was able to only eat the sweets that I really wanted and leave the rest. In the past, I would've had one of each kind of cookie and finished them off, even if I didn't really like them. I'd say that's a success.

Here's the deal: I truly believe it's unrealistic to think you'll never indulge in a food again that maybe isn't the healthiest. The key is to be in control of the treat and not the sugar/salt be in control of you. Only eat the things you really want and everything in moderation. Allow yourself the treat, but stop. If you can be satisfied with just a bite, then do it. If you're like me and you can't, then ask someone to take the tempting food items away from you. I had my treats and now they're hidden again.

So, the other part of the answer above was that I find healthy alternatives. I love Peanut Butter Cookies and I love Brownies. Not the healthiest. So, when I crave them, I make these instead.

Katie's Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Cookies
















Substitutions: Usually I make these exactly according to the directions, but I ran out of peanuts and substituted walnuts instead. They were just as delicious!

Katie's Hot Fudge Brownie Larabars

 


Substitutions: I leave out the optional chocolate chips.

----

Katie's recipe even inspired me to make one into one of my Meal-In-A-Glass!















Hot Fudge Brownie MIAG
1 cup almond milk
1/3 cup dates, chopped
1 handful spinach, fresh
1/2 cup walnuts
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 T cocoa powder
pinch of sea salt (optional)
ice

Blend all in your blender until smooth.