Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Adventures of SOCCA

So, before we get into the adventures with my gluten-free bread making, I promised on Facebook to share a new MIAG recipe!

Carob Fudge Blueberry MIAG

1 c non-dairy milk
1/4 c blueberries
1 T raw honey
1/4 c brown rice flour
1 T toasted carob powder
1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Wheatgrass
1 tsp Premier Research Lab Greens Mix
1 serving chocolate or neutral-flavored protein powder
1/2 tsp sugar-free vanilla extract
1/2 tsp stevia powder
1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp sea salt

Blend all in a blender & enjoy with a straw! Yum!

----

In an effort to eat more like the endo-diet, I decided it would be a good idea to try to make my own gluten-free breads this week. It was a tall order, since our meal plans included: bread, tortillas, chips, bagels, etc.

Last night, I attempted the bread. I found these recipes on Pinterest. I decided to try the "Multi-Grain Bread" recipe. However, I had to adjust the ingredients a little bit, so here is my version below.

Multi-Grain Gluten-Free Bread

2 and 2/3 c brown rice flour
1/3 c chickpea flour
2/3 c arrowroot powder
3 tsp guar gum
1 tsp stevia powder
1 tsp sea salt
1.5 tsp baking powder
3 tsp poppy seeds
3 tsp sesame seeds
3 tsp flax seeds
4 tsp sunflower seeds
2 and 1/4 tsp yeast
1/2 c warm water
1/3 c coconut oil (warmed to a liquid state)
3 eggs
1/3 c unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp organic apple cider vinegar

Sift and combine the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with the water until frothy. (I used my electric mixer on a low-medium setting). Add remaining wet ingredients. (You have to work quickly once you add the coconut oil, or it will start to harden). Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix slowly. (I used a spatula). When combined beat on high until batter is smooth, adding more water slowly, if required. (I used my electric mixer for this and did end up needing a bit more warm water). Spoon into a greased loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise for about 1 hr. (I was doing other cooking, so I put mine on my stove while I did my other cooking). Remove plastic wrap and baked at 375 F for 40 minutes.


Notes: My bread didn't rise, so while it won't work as a sandwich bread, it's great for things like toast w/pb, making french toast, bread w/butter to accompany a soup or salad, etc. It does contain a strong chickpea flour taste, so if you don't like that, you probably won't care for the flavor of this bread. The original recipe had another method where you add the yeast and water together first and let the yeast proof first before adding it, so I think next time, I'll try doing it that way and see if I can get it to rise a bit more.



----

Also last night, I started to prep the dough for the gluten-free tortillas that I also found on Pinterest. I rolled them into balls and covered them with plastic wrap and left them in the fridge to roll out and cook for today's snack.

However, this proved to be a frustrating and tedious task. I couldn't use the rolling pin because despite using lots of flour, it kept sticking to the nonstick pin. So, I resorted to using a ton of flour (on the dish, on my hands, everywhere!) and started pushing them out with my hands and fingers, but they still kept sticking and I'd have to start all over again.

I finally got one done! And it looked so pretty! And tasted good, too!

But, then all the others were just as frustrating to roll/push out and started to look like this...

I finally threw in the towel after making three, but I didn't want the batter to go to waste, so I decided to improvise and try to make this Socca recipe. Sooo much easier and so much bigger! Check out the difference (socca on left, tortilla on right).

Because I was adding ingredients from my already-made tortilla batter, I had to improvise. So, below is what I did:

Socca Tortillas
Yields: 4
1 c gluten-free all-purpose flour
1 c chickpea flour
1.5 tsp guar gum
a few pinches stevia powder
1 tsp sea salt + a few dashes
2 c warm water, divided
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2.5 T extra virgin olive oil + extra for cooking

Add dry ingredients (except cumin) to a bowl and mix throughly with your hands. Add 1 c warm water and mix throughly again with your hands. Squish it all up until all the dry ingredients are no longer dry. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and leave in your fridge overnight. When you're ready to cook them, heat your broiler, and drizzle some olive oil in a 9" or 10" pan that can go in the oven and heat the pan in your oven. While your pan is heating, add another 1 c warm water to the batter, a few more dashes of sea salt, the cumin & 2.5 T extra virgin olive oil. Mix up well with your electric mixer on low. Batter will be liquidy. Once the pan and oven are blazing hot, pour enough batter in the pan to cover the bottom, then pop it in the oven. Bake until the socca starts to bubble and spots on it start to blister and brown. The exact time will vary by your broiler. Mine took about 10-15 minutes each socca. 

Slide the socca out of the pan onto a cutting board to cool while you cook your next one. Cook each socca in the same way. Store in a air-tight container, once soccas have cooled.

Notes: My recipe is complicated, but it gave them this corn-tortilla type-textured. I've never had socca before, so I don't know what the texture is supposed to be like, but the pictures I've seen appear to be harder, almost like tortilla chips. So, if you want that texture, I'd recommend trying the original recipe.

Socca Cheeserito
For lunch, I decide to try these out. I sprinkled a socca with some mozzarella cheese (throw in the microwave quick to melt) , added a few drops of Frank's Original Cayenne Hot Sauce and a dollop or two of sour cream (you could also substitute plain greek yogurt). 

As you can see from the picture, when you fold these in half, they don't stay closed; they tend to start breaking. So, they might not be the best option to try to use as a soft shell for tacos or things of that sort. But, they would make an excellent pizza crust, cut into flatbread/chips with hummus, etc.

Tomorrow, I will attempt gluten-free bagels!