Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Homemade Goodies

There's nothing like homemade goodies.

You can have your favorites, because you've made them using healthier ingredients. For me it's kind of like a riddle to solve, "How can I make this healthier? How can I use ingredients that I can have without sacrificing flavor?"

Sometimes, I don't have to do the guess work, because I find an amazing recipe that already has been made healthy by a fellow food blogger. Like these amazing homemade tortilla chips!


Paleo 'Tortilla' Chips
These chips are crispy like a tortilla chip but the consistency of a cracker like a Wheat Thin. They also have quite a spicy kick to them, but you can play around with different kinds of spices. You could maybe even make "sweet" crackers using cinnamon and stevia?

Changes I made to the recipe:
instead of ground annato --> nutmeg and pepper
omit --> ground dried orange peel (forgot to add it)
omit --> onion powder (didn't have any)

----

A great way to use these chips is on a taco salad.

Taco Salad
This is a kid-friendly taco salad and really fast and easy to assemble. You could even get your kids involved! 
Serves 1


1/3 c brown rice
2-3 oz ground turkey
2 T cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1/2-3/4 c shredded lettuce
1 oz raw sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
crushed up Paleo 'Tortilla' Chips (see above for recipe)
plain greek yogurt (as dressing)

Layer ingredients in the order listed above and enjoy! Serve with milk and grapes for a complete meal.

----

Perhaps you're craving something sweet?

Coconut Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
This recipe knocked my socks off! It was my first time ever using coconut flour and I was pleasantly surprised. Reminds me of eating homemade banana chocolate chip bread! Yum!


Changes I made to the recipe:
instead of maple syrup --> raw yacon syrup
instead of 3 mashed bananas --> 2 mashed bananas

----

Or maybe you love your sweet coffee treats, but don't want to pay for them around the waistline or the pocketbook. You can make your own! And get creative with them, too!

Cinnamon Caramel Dolce Latte
I was craving both a Cinnamon Dolce Latte and a Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks. So, I decided to come up with my own drink blending the two and using healthier ingredients.


approx 1.5 cups freshly brewed coffee
approx 1 cup almond milk
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
1/2-t T raw yacon syrup

While your coffee is brewing, warm the milk in the microwave. Add cinnamon to the milk and whisk until frothy and well blended. Add the yacon syrup and whisk again until well blended. Add your coffee. Sprinkle a bit more cinnamon on the top (for garnish) and enjoy!