Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Naked Face Project: Week 1 - Clothing & Jewelry

So, I realized that I never put a deadline on when I would complete my Naked Face Project. The original creators of The Naked Face Project suggest 60 days. Originally, I was going to go with this. Except, I realized this week that I need to do what's right for me. Therefore, my deadline is unknown.

I'm really using this project to learn all that I can about myself, my self-confidence, and my beauty routine. Therefore, I think I'll work backwards. As I learn things, I think I'll slowly reincorporate (or not) things when I've figured out why I do them. Once I feel that I've learned everything I need to know about a particular beauty issue, then my project will be over.

So, welcome to my first week!

The day after I decided to start my Naked Face Project, I had a benefit to go to for my friend Elissa. I must say, I had regrets that I had decided to do this the day before, but more that I had made it public so I couldn't back out. I had to examine my reasons why. I mean I was freshly showered, appropriately dressed, what was the problem? The problem was appearance. 100% appearance. I knew there would be a lot of people there who I had not seen in well over 10 years. And this was the "me" that they were going to be presented with? I could do so much better!

See, us girls have an epidemic, as I've said before. We walk into a room, scan the room for the "prettiest", "most fit", or whatever your ideal is and we compare ourselves. We find all the ways that we don't measure up. And it's a lie. It's a lie that the enemy of this world keeps us trapped in. If he can get us to do this, then we'll have a hard time loving ourselves, have a hard time making lasting girl friendships and instead manifest traits like jealousy, self-hatred or even envy. Those are obviously not gifts of the Spirit and not how God sees us.

The Bible says that God created you in his own image! "God created man in his own image...male and female he created them." ~Genesis 1:27

If this is true, then we're already beautiful! Think of all the things God is and all the beautiful things in the world that He created. If we are made in His image, then we are all of these things, too!

So, what do we do with the world that we were given? How are we supposed to dress? Let's again, look at the Bible. "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit." ~1 Peter 3:3-4

Does this mean that we shouldn't do our hair, wear jewelry or nice clothes?

One commentary suggest that "The apostle refers here to a propensity which exists in the heart of woman to seek that which would be esteemed ornamental, or that which will appear well in the sight of others, and commend us to them. The desire of this is laid deep in human nature and therefore, when properly regulated is not wrong."


It seems that it depends on the heart of woman. Why are you doing your hair that way? Why are you wearing that jewelry? Why are you wearing those particular clothes?


If I had gone to the benefit dressed to the nine's, it would've been wrong. Why? Because where was my motivation for doing that? I said earlier in this post, "I knew there would be a lot of people there who I had not seen in well over 10 years. And this was the "me" that they were going to be presented with? I could do so much better!" My heart was in the wrong place...I was merely doing it to look to good to others.

In the book Captivating, which is what my women's ministry's events are based off of, authors John & Staci Eldredge state, "A woman in her glory, a woman of beauty, is a woman who is not striving to become beautiful or worthy or enough. She knows in her quiet spirit where God dwells that he finds her beautiful, has deemed her worthy, and in him, she is enough.


That, my friends, is the kind of beauty I want!

I've taken this quote from Captivating and I've posted it on my closet doors. Every time I put an outfit together from this point on, I will remember that my beauty first comes from knowing that God finds me beautiful, deems me worthy and in Him, I am enough. What a difference that will make in what I choose to put on my body in the way of clothing that day! And hopefully, that inner beauty will begin to radiate on the outside and that is what others will notice about me.