I started talking about it with my husband and when his response was, "I don't want to snuggle up next to man legs", I knew. I knew that I had to do this. I knew our society was shaping what defines a woman. I knew it was subconscious to us all, men and women and children alike.
Here is my definition of what Beauty Habits I'll choose to not engage in. I think there's a difference between hygiene and beauty.
- Therefore, I will continue to shampoo, condition & wash my hair, face & teeth.
- I will continue to blow dry my hair (because it's winter, otherwise I'd let it air dry), but I will not use any round brushes, curling irons, flat irons or the like.
- I will not use any makeup.
- I will not dye my hair from what it is right now (which is close to my natural color). I may cut it at some point, if it become physically unmanageable for me.
- I will continue to use unscented deodorant, only if I feel I need it. (This is more hygiene than beauty to me & using unscented prevents me from trying to "enhance" my body).
- I will not use any smelly lotions, hair products or perfumes.
- I will not pluck my eyebrows, or shave my underarms or legs, so long as it doesn't become physically painful. (sometimes leg hairs get pulled on pants. I may shave then.)
- I will not use jewelry (except wedding rings & my already-in-place nose ring) or wear uncomfortable clothing, but will dress comfortably & appropriately for the occasion.
- ...this list may continue to change as the project goes on...
There are 4 main reasons why I want to do this:
1. I have 2 little girls of my own (age 5 & age 6 months). I already see my 5 year old wanting to put on make-up, wear the nicest clothes, do her hair pretty, etc. I wonder how much of that is from MY influence & I want a better life for my girls. Instilling self-confidence in them is of the utmost importance to me.
2. I lead a small group of Christian women & am also apart of a women's ministry that puts on weekend events. (The ministry is called, "All Things New" http://atnalive.com.) The very basic thing we talk about in that ministry & small group is BEAUTY. True BEAUTY. The inner-beauty that only comes from knowing God & embracing what He created you to be. This works right in alignment with that! And I'd love to look at my own reasons for using certain beauty products and what I make that mean about myself.
3. My life has been greatly shaped by outward-beauty. Our society shapes beauty & sexuality hand-in-hand. Pornography runs rampant in people lives, marriages, etc. Women are constantly comparing themselves to air-brushed unrealistic images (and each other!) & their mates are having a hard time being "satisfied" by a real live woman. It's sickening. In my opinion, we have an epidemic on our hands in this society. Anything that can swim upstream from that, I'm on board with!
4. I've always been intrigued by simpler times and eras. As well as other countries when & where beauty products & an obsession with cleanliness does not exist. I want to do this as an effort to lead a simpler lifestyle where my natural beauty can come from the inside out.
So, there you have it! My reasons why I'm joining The Naked Face Project!
I'll try to post on my blog weekly about this. For now, here's my most recent naked vs not naked face.
How about you? Are you brave enough to join us? :)