Sunday, January 6, 2013

Just Dance!

Yesterday was supposed to be an "active" rest day. An active rest day is when you do something leisure, but you're still moving your body.

I have a goal of doing 100 miles by Valentine's Day, so my plan was to wake up early and do an easy 2.2 mile walk at the gym before heading down to my friend's house for a fun girls day.

The alarm clock went off. I hit the snooze and got back into bed to snuggle with my hubby for awhile. Before I knew it, it was an hour past when I was supposed to get up. Soooo.... my plan was thwarted.

I tried to convince all the girls, later that day, that we should go for a leisure stroll around the neighborhood... 5 times. In 20-degree weather. Obviously, no one took me up on my offer.

The time was getting later and it was looking like I wouldn't even get home until after 10PM, so going to the gym was less than appealing.

We sat down to dinner, which the hostess had made us. It was amazing and the recipe is below.

Rustic Herb Potatoes and Chicken
1 pat butter (or coconut oil)
10 red potatoes, diced
4T Tastefully Simple Rustic Herb Seasoning, separated
16 oz bag of frozen green beans
5 chicken breasts, diced
1T olive oil

Place diced potatoes in a skillet with a small pat of butter and 2T of the Rustic Herb Seasoning. Cook in the pan until slightly browned and then transfer the potatoes to a cook sheet. Finish cooking the potatoes in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, cook your green beans according to the package. Also, cook your chopped chicken in the skillet. When green beans, potatoes and chicken are all finished cooking, combine them back into the skillet with 2T more of the Rustic Herb Seasoning and cook on low with olive oil.


Another one of the gals brought a salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Again, amazing. And again, the recipe is below.

Kristine's Berry Salad
1 package mixed greens
1 pint blueberries
1 pound strawberries
1 pint blackberries (we substituted apples)
crumbed feta (optional)
candied walnuts (optional)

Kristine's Balsamic Vinaigrette
2T honey
1T dijon mustard
1/4 cup balsamic vineger
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed (minced is stronger)
3/4 cup olive oil (for a thicker dressing, use an amount just shy of 3/4 cup)

Make the salad by mixing everything together in a bowl with salad tongs. Make the dressing by just mixing everything together. Enjoy!


After dinner, it somehow came up that the hostess' son had gotten the game, "Just Dance 4" for Christmas, so I challenged her to a dance off. Before I knew it, I was getting my active rest day activity in afterall!

It may not have contributed to my mileage or looked like how I had planned it, but it sure was fun! And I was sweating like crazy at the end!
Me (on right) beating the host, Stephanie
Me, beating Janelle
Me, beating Jen
Me, beating Kristine


And... I was the winner! :-)

I think I need a Wii...