Friday, October 15, 2010

Gingerbread Pumpkin Oatmeal & Pretty In Pink Pear Salad Dressing

To say I had a "bad day" yesterday would be an understatement. Fights w/the hubby about money, breaking down about my infertility issues (I occasionally have "poor me" sessions), getting my period (2 days late) and bleeding all over my clothing (a normalcy for people w/endometriosis), etc

Oh and just another reminder: NO subject is taboo on this blog. I will often say "inappropriate" things or things that make others uncomfortable. I don't write this blog to make people comfortable. I write this blog to put my true feelings on paper (well, sort of paper) and to lead by example that people need to start being real and authentic about who they are and what they are feeling.

Anyway, it's no wonder that I dreamt about giant daddy long legs last night. And the only way to kill them was to squeeze their little bodies until all their insides came out. Gross, I know. Where does my sub-conscience come up with this stuff?

At any rate, I'm a Christian, so I don't put a ton of stock in horoscopes, palm readers and things of the sort. But, I HAVE found a dream interpretation site that I really like. It seems to usually be right on! With today being no exception: "To see a spider in your dream, indicates that you are feeling like an outsider in some situation."


Do I think this is an accurate interpretation? What do you think? Check out last night's posting!

So, I am DETERMINED to make this a better day! And what better way than to start out with Gingerbread Pumpkin Vegan Oatmeal?!

Gingerbread Pumpkin Vegan Oatmeal
Adapted from Oh She Glows

2/3 cup regular rolled oats
1 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
tiny pinch of salt
1 cup almond milk
1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup pumpkin
1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp coconut butter
shredded coconut, garnish

In a microwave-safe dish, mix the first 7 ingredients. Whisk. Next add the remaining ingredients, except the coconut butter and shredded coconut and whisk until fully mixed. Place in microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir and let sit until thickens a little bit. In the meantime, place the coconut butter in the microwave for approx 30 seconds on medium, just to melt. Once melted, drizzle over your oatmeal as your "icing". Top w/shredded coconut for a garnish.
Serves 2.

NOTE: DO NOT skip the coconut butter! This was my favorite part!!!


The cheapest place that I found this coconut butter is on Opensky.com. You can buy it from me on Open Sky here.

Lunch was a simple salad.
What I love about salads is that they are like a blank canvas in art. You can start with any type of greenery, add any type of fruit, add any type of nuts, add cheese or beans-if you want, etc.

In today's mix: green cabbage, romaine lettuce, chopped apple, chopped walnuts & crumbled goat cheese. Served with 1/2 a slice of Rosemary Olive Oil Artisan Bread.
I found this bread at Costco yesterday. It is absolutely delightful! This bread does contain wheat, but what I'm learning is that MOST breads contain wheat, if they're any good.

The Endo Diet requires a wheat-free diet, but I'll be honest... I'm having a hard time! So, I'm doing the best I can and experimenting with non-wheat products and learning what does and doesn't work. Like my dinner roll flop! For now, I'm being sensible about it and that's all I'll say. I have a whole "wheat-free" post coming up soon.

In yesterday's mix: romaine lettuce, chopped red pear and chopped pecans.

I topped both salad's with a new homemade dressing: Pretty in Pink Pear Salad Dressing!


Pretty in Pink Pear Salad Dressing
Adapted from Get Natured

1 ripe red pear (cored)
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp agave nectar
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste

Combine all ingredients in a blender, starting on low and slowing increasing to high. Taste and adjust with salt and pepper, as needed. You could also add a bit more agave nectar, for a sweeter taste.
Isn't it Pretty? :)

By the way, Super Target in MN now has raw nuts!
I found this near the bakery items and let me tell you... it was SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than what you find at Whole Foods.

Lastly, I'll close with this. You can find the cutest little decorated Halloween cupcakes here. Because nothing brightens your day, like an adorable pumpkin-decorated cupcake! :) Who says you have to eat them to enjoy them?