Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The processed & artificial sugar addiction...

It's so hard. I faced an eating disorder for a loooooong many years and from time to time, it rears it's ugly head. I think there is some truth to the fact that processed sugars are designed to get us addicted. For the past couple months, I've eaten zero processed or artificial sugar. I was still eating cookies and things, but they were HOMEMADE and the only sugar found in them was natural (sucanat, molasses, honey, pure maple syrup, etc). Then a week ago, I got PMS cravings and caved into the processed sugar, of course, in the form of chocolate mini donuts (my favorite junk food!)... I ate almost an entire bag of them for dinner one night. Since then, I can't seem to get enough sugar... cookies, candy, more mini donuts, cake, etc... I'm eating things I don't even like! And I've learned to listen to the voice that used to tell me to use food to stuff the things I didn't want to deal with. But that voice is nowhere to be found. This can only lead me to believe that PROCESSED and ARTIFICAL SUGARS are purely designed to get you hooked. It truly is like a drug. Once you start, it's horribly hard to stop. So, thus begins the cycle of cutting out artificial & processed sugars once again. Maybe I'll learn... someday.