Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day: Como Zoo - Pt 1

My husband requested one thing that we do on Father's Day... go to the zoo & have a picnic in the park afterwards.

So, he picked the free zoo in MN: Como Zoo.

We couldn't have asked for better weather! It was mostly cloudy and in the 70's, which was fine with me, since I'm sporting a 9-month preggo belly now!


Off we went!

First stop was the new edible garden exhibit!



DD got to take part in some cool things, too!
Touching the herbs & then smelling her fingers. :)
Touching the soil to check for dampness.

I fell in love with some gardening items for sale!
(But sadly, didn't get to purchase them).
 

Onto the animals!
 

 

Last week, my sister was at the zoo and just happened to be walking by when the bison was giving birth to this little cutie!
 

We determined the penguins must've had a falling out. None of them were facing each other! haha

Last of the animals was my personal favorite... the giant tortoise!
 

Next, we moved onto the conservatory part of the zoo. First stop was the new bonsai tree exhibit. These are amazing! Makes me want to start my own bonsai trees in my house! Who wants to teach me how to grow them?
 

 


Lastly, we headed outside to the Japanese gardens. Can someone please build this in my backyard? :)



Stay tuned for Parts 2 & 3 of our day... the picnic & a local famous ice cream shop!