Thursday, February 14, 2008

Every Party Needs a Pooper

Have you been the party pooper in your relationship? I know I have been! At some point, Ben and I stopped celebrating holidays. No gift exchanges at Christmas, no flowers or candy or dinner out on Valentine's day, etc. While it didn't appear to be a big deal, it was. Slowly, after years and years of this...we realized that we stopped taking care of our relationship and we were heading down a slippery slope. It's not about the money or the gifts or even the celebration itself! It's about taking the time to let that person know you care about them - you thought of them - they are still important to you and WORTH it! When had I decided Ben wasn't worth it to me anymore? It was too much work and took too much effort and took too much thought to make a card? To make myself "pretty" for him that day? To surprise him? When did I give myself permission to quit? I'm not a quitter! When did I make it okay and become so relaxed in my marriage that I stopped trying?

Now, you may think I'm "overdramating" this, because that's what I've heard a lot... that I'm a drama queen...but I'm not overdramatic - I passionate - there's a difference! I'm passionate about making my marriage work and I'm passionate about self-evaluation and becoming beautiful inside out and about being the best I can be - as a wife, as a mother, etc.

Also, here's some food for thought...Jesus often spoke in hyperboly (which would be known today as a "drama queen") and aren't we called to be like Jesus? So, the next time you tell me I'm a drama queen - I'm going smile and be glad, because you're complimenting me and telling me I'm just like Jesus - which is ultimately my goal anyway! :)