Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Velvet Elvis ---- Rob Bell

"So many people have superwhatever rattling around in their head. They have this person they are convinced they are supposed to be, and their superwhatever is killing them. They have this image they picked up over the years of how they are supposed to look and act and work and play and talk and it's like a voice that never stops shouting in their ear. And the only way to not be killed by it is to shoot first. You have to kill your superwhatever. And you have to do it right now. Because your superwhatever will rob you of today and tomorrow and the next day until you take it out back and end its life."


" 'You did not choose me, but I chose you.' A rabbi would only pick a disciple who he thought could actually do what he was doing. Jesus gets frustrated with his disciples because of HOW CAPABLE THEY ARE. He sees what they could be and could do and when they fall short, it provokes him to no end. It isn't their failure that's the problem; it's their greatness. They don't realize what they are capable of. God has an incredibly high view of people. God believes that people are capable of amazing things. Jesus belives in me. God has faith in me. The rabbi thinks we can be like him."


"HELL: A way, a place, a realm absent of how God desires things to be. We can bring heaven to earth; we can bring hell to earth. For Jesus, this new kind of life in him is not about escaping this world but about making it a better place here and now. The goal for Jesus isn't to get into heaven. The goal is to get heaven here."

I absolutely love this book and I love Rob Bell!!! His perspectives are so great, aren't they? I'd be curious to get others' thoughts on what I've written. These are my notes from the book that stuck with me for different reasons. Part of my journey of discovering myself is: what is my superwhatever? What does Jesus say about me? How can I bring heaven to earth? Great stuff!