Monday, August 30, 2010

Dish Invasion & Pumpkin Pie for Breakfast!

I went to dinner with a friend awhile ago. For the first time IN MY LIFE, I asked the waitress to return what I ordered and bring me something different. Since my lunch and afternoon snacks weren't quite successful, I was starving! Out to eat + starving = bad choices! I ordered onion rings as an appetizer (which I pretty much ate the entire basket of), returned the Cashew Chicken Salad Sandwich (cause, duh, chicken salad has dairy) and had her bring me the Coconut Chicken Fingers instead. While they were yummy, I totally paid for it the next day. I used to order that kind of stuff ALL the time, so it didn't bother me much. But now that I'm primarily eating healthy, when I eat crap, I feel like crap. Guess the phrase, "You are what you eat" turns out to be true. So, I swished down some of my Acid Reflux medication (which I only take when I really need it) with some water and added my daily dose of Miralax (per my doc's instructions, long story...) in hopes to move that icky food out of my system as quickly as possible. By lunch, I was finally starting to feel better. Ugh... note self... don't eat fried crap anymore! Lesson learned.

Do you know what this is?


Pumpkin Pie Vegan Overnight Oats. These were so creamy & yummy!!! The only thing I changed in Angela's recipe was that I warmed mine up & left out the toppings. I think I'll try these again, but cold, since Pumpkin Pie is cold and that's what they tasted like!
Since you can never have enough pumpkin,
I added a Pumpkin Tea to my breakfast!

AM Snack - The kids "yuck"ed plain Greek yogurt and I can't say I blame them. I'm not a big plain yogurt fan myself. But after adding a little bit of the Medium Amber Grade A Pure Maple Syrup to it, they gobbled it right up and even wanted seconds! I'm so happy that I'm able to feed them healthy foods that they enjoy. It may be more expensive, but knowing that I'm making a difference in their health and establishing healthy eating habits now, gives me such a feeling of success, I can't even tell you.
Chia Seeds that I added to my breakfast
and Grade A Pure Maple Syrup that I added to the kids' yogurt.

So, I've discovered that the only drawback of eating healthy is.... the invasion of dishes! I am constantly unloading the dishwasher only to reload it again. I can't keep up! I guess it's a good problem to have. ;)

For lunch I thought I would try Swordfish Steaks. I don't really care for seafood or fish (except I can tolerate Mahi Mahi), but I'm always willing to try new things. I'm such a brat... as the steaks were cooking, I was getting nauseated from the smell of them, so I didn't even try them! lol.

Instead I made a salad and added some Nutritional Yeast.

Don't you hate it when you open something
and its already have empty?!



The salad was yummy! Except I was getting full, so I pulled out the Turkish Dried Apricots & made sure to finish those. ;)

 

The kids didn't like the swordfish steaks, either. But they DID love these Take 'N Bake Rosemary Rolls from the bakery at Kowalski's Market!

Mmmmmmmmmm
At nap time, two of my favorite things came out to play. :)

  

Lastly, I don't know if you can tell from this picture, but this yellow pepper was HUGE!
Peppers make a great snack!
Try the different colors, as they all have different flavors.