Friday, September 24, 2010

Failed Dressing Attempt

Raisin Pumpkin Spice Vegan Oatmeal
Adapted from (source)

2/3 cup oats
1 cup almond milk
1.5 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tbsp Apple Butter
Raisins, to garnish
Coconut, to garnish

 In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl mix the oats, chia seeds, walnuts and pumpkin pie spice. Now add the milk, maple syrup, apple butter and pumpkin and whisk. Place in microwave for approximately 2 minutes. When ready, sprinkle with raisins and coconut. 

Check out my $5 awesome find at the Unclaimed Freight! 
Super cute glass cutting board that stays on the counter! I'm officially in love!

I got another new toy!
Make your own dressing! Complete w/4 dressing recipes right on the container. The only part not shown in my picture is the plunger/top. Again, you know you want one. :) Get yours here. So, for lunch I decided to attempt my own French Dressing on my delicious Romaine, Chickpea, Cucumber Salad.
I thought it would be a great idea to omit the sugar and substitute the vegetable oil in the recipe for coconut oil to replace the sweet flavor lost w/the sugar...
Looks awesome, huh? I started eating my salad after pouring this on and was thinking, "Wow! This is soooo good!" Until...
Not sure if you can see the white coating on my leaves in this photo or not, but I completely forgot that Coconut Oil hardens at room temperature! As I was eating my salad, it started to harden until it was inedible. Darn! Guess it was time for Plan B...
... you can never go wrong w/Sunflower Seed Butter and Banana on an Ezekiel wrap. Yum-o!

I did some fridge and cupboard cleaning to get rid of the non-endo-diet-friendly foods. 
All of those seasonings have "citric acid" or "natural flavors" or other undesirable ingredients. However, Tastefully Simple does have some great seasonings w/o the added unwanted extras. I kept about 8 seasonings! And this is my fridge when it's getting "low" on food. lol. BTW, the milk is my daughter's and the daycare kids'. My Rice Milk and Almond Milk are up on the left hand side. I didn't take a picture of the 2 bags of pantry items that I sent home w/my SIL!

For snack, I decided to try to use up something that has been in my fridge for awhile... celery.
Remember these? Ants on a log! The kids had so much fun w/these! They loved telling their families that they ate "ants" for snack! I made the kids' w/peanut butter, but mine w/almond butter. You could really use any kind of nut butter that you wanted.

I started dinner, but got side tracked and was a bit emotional this evening. So, my sainted husband said he'd finish dinner, so I could go for my first run outside since last summer! It was heavenly! I've decided to start tracking my stats, so watch for a new page w/my training/running stats! Coming soon! Now onto the delicious dinner that was waiting for me after my run...
Lentils... aren't they so pretty? I just love how little and cute they are and I loved the reflection on the pan that they gave off.

Lentil Walnut Burgers
I had mine open-faced w/mustard, romaine and leftover pizza sauce. These deserve only one word... YUM!