Friday, September 10, 2010

The Easiest & Healthy Homemade Dressing

Yesterday started out great! My husband and daughter were being so silly that they were making me giggle! But, as the day went on, my day got more and more stressful. When I have a bad day, my past eating disorder mentally rears it's ugly head. But, let me back up a little...

Chocolate Pumpkin Overnight Oats
This one was yummy, especially with the coconut flakes and pure maple syrup on top! Yum-o! I find these overnight oat recipes to be super-duper filling so I can never seem to finish a whole bowl!

Chickpea Salad, Green Peppers dipped in Red Pepper Hummus & Watermelon
This was a simple meal. I took a blend of romaine and cabbage and topped it with chickpeas. Then I made Angela's Better Than Bottled Balsamic Vinaigrette. I must agree with her, it IS better than bottled balsamic vinaigrette! This is my new FAV! I don't know if I just got a super strong batch garlic or what, but I added the 1/2 clove of optional garlic to this recipe and it was too much! Next time I'll try the recipe without it. (I know, what is with me and garlic, lately?!)

The kids were stressing me out beyond belief. It was one of those days... you know, the one when all they do is fight from morning till pick up. And one where they don't listen to anything you say. And one where they do their own thing and are constantly getting into to trouble. I finally said enough and put them down for nap a half hour early. I was so stressed out that I didn't even get to finish my watermelon. Oh, and P.S. I've learned that I do NOT like raw green peppers. Red peppers and yellow peppers are fine. Green peppers... not so much. So, I grabbed a piece of the kids' uneaten Ezekiel bread & slabbed on the Red Pepper Hummus, which I absolutely adore! As I type this, I just remembered that I had first put butter on the bread for the kids. Crap. *sigh*

Anywho, I curled up on the couch with my book and listened to 1 of the kids, who didn't fall asleep for about an hour and half. Then, just as he falls asleep, another kid awakes crying, which then wakes up my daughter. The two of them talk and talk and eventually wake up the third. *another sigh* Enter Hot Tamales candy.

Now, I'm just speculating here, but I'm pretty sure this can be greatly attributed to our snack that morning. It's my own fault for feeding them crap and sugar, but that idea was too darn cute to pass up. ;) Ok, so I was just lazy and didn't want to find healthier substitutes at the time. Note to self: crappy food makes for naughty and sleepless kids. Got it! I got a lot smarter for afternoon snack. While the kids enjoyed leftover watermelon, I enjoyed a new Green Monster!

Have you ever seen a yellow watermelon?
Blueberry-Banana Green Monster
While this Monster was still good, it wasn't as good as the Virgin Green Monster... but variety is good! :)

The rest of the afternoon went over without a hitch. Go figure. Healthy Food = Healthy & Happy Kids! I, however, was still feeling the effects of the stressful morning. My sis invited us out to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner, since she'd never been there before. And here's where my evening and eating disorder mentally comes into play... "You had a rough day, you can eat dairy", "Sugar will take away all the stress", "Eat until you can't stuff the feelings, uh food, any farther"...

BUFFALO WILD WINGS...
1) 1 small glass of Honeyweiss Beer (oh so good!)
2) deep-fried pickles, dipped in ranch dressing (aka unhealthy oil, wheat, dairy)
3) buffalo chicken ranch wrap, made w/mild sauce (aka wheat, dairy)
4) a few bites of chocolate cake (sugar, sugar, sugar and more sugar)

We then proceeded to go to my sister's house to meet their new kitty. I open the fridge to get my daughter some water and what do I see? Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting... need I say more??? Nom, Nom, Nom... dairy, sugar, dairy, sugar

Lastly, we went to my bro's house for the Vikings game. My beloved SIL made the Pillsbury caramel rolls... I devoured 2 of them in about 5 seconds...

*sigh* - This is when I pick myself back up and I say... tomorrow is a new day. Just remember, that I am HEALED, HEALTHY & WHOLE through Christ who strengthens me!