Friday, September 24, 2010

There's a New Sheriff in Town...

There's a new sheriff in town...


...he goes by the name KALE.
Sheriff Kale Green Monster
Adapted from {source}


2 cups kale
1 cup almond milk
1 banana
1 tbsp almond butter
1 tsp pure cane sugar
1 tsp raw maca powder
2-3 cubes ice

Blend until smooth.

So, Tuesday night's Hip Hop class was ah-mazing, even though I sucked was a bit rusty. :) There were only 3 of us... me, my SIL and my friend from middle school. If you live in the MN area and you ever considered taking a fun Hip Hop class, I HIGHLY suggest you try this out! It's free to try and if you don't like it, nothing lost. If you do, great! It's Tuesdays from 8:15-9:15 at White Bear Dance Center. You get a discount if you decide to join and you tell them that I referred you. Here's the website, for more information.


I just read a blog entry from the Whole Foods Market blog. They have a cd for sale with great cultural music and proceeds go to help out Haiti. You can check it out here.


I got a new toy. :)
See all the pulp and seeds being sifted out. Ah... so nice.
Perfectly strained fresh lemon juice... pulp and seed free.
And I don't know if you can see it, but it even has measurements on the side, so you can squeeze only what you need! You know you want one. Get it here.


I was so excited to put my new juicer to use and my SIL was coming over for lunch to return something I left in her car. This is no small feat as she lives 35-40 minutes away and she had just been over the night before. So, I decided to repay pay her by making her a wowing lunch. 




Angela's Easy Stuffed Portobello Pizza
in a Cashew Basil Cheese Sauce

8 portobello mushrooms
2 cups pizza sauce
Vegan Cashew Basil Cheese Sauce (see recipe below)
1/3 cup of each: red, green, orange pepper, diced
1/3 cup sweet onion, diced
2-3 large basil leaves, finely diced
1 tsp red pepper flakes

Preheat oven by setting the broiler on low. Take a baking sheet and cover with a silicone non-stick baking mat or parchment paper for easy clean up. Make your Vegan Cashew Basil cheese sauce by using the recipe below. Set aside. Remove stems of Portabellas and gently rub Portabellas with a wet cloth to clean. Place Portabellas ‘belly’ side up on the baking sheet. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce into each Portabella. Now spoon about 2 teaspoons of Vegan Cashew basil Cheese Sauce on top of the pizza sauce (see recipe below). Grab a cutting board and knife and chop the onion and pepper and then sprinkle onto Portabellas. Finally, shake on some red pepper flakes and sprinkle finely diced basil on top. Broil in the oven on the lowest temperature setting on the middle rack for about 10-12 minutes, watching closely as broiler temperatures vary. Serve immediately and enjoy! Serves 3-4.


Angela's Vegan Cashew Basil Cheese Sauce

1 cup raw cashews
1/3-1/2 Himalayan sea salt, to taste
1/2 tsp cold-pressed sunflower oil
1 fresh basil leaf
1 small clove garlic
1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Place 1 cup of raw cashews in a bowl of water, cover, and soak overnight in the fridge. When cashews are ready, drain and place all ingredients (cashews, Himalayan sea salt, cold-pressed sunflower oil, basil, garlic, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice) into a food processor and process until smooth, stopping to scrape sides of processor as necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Place any leftover cheese in a container in the fridge and enjoy with chopped vegetables, crackers, bread, and chips!

A word of caution: use the LARGE portobello mushrooms. My picture is of the smaller portobello mushrooms, cause I didn't realize I needed the big ones. It still turned out, I just needed much less of everything that the recipe calls for. For the "pizzas", I used plain organic tomato sauce mixed w/pizza seasoning (blend of oregano, basil, marjoram and gran garlic)and about a tablespoon of dried basil, because my fresh basil died.


My cheese sauce was a bit difficult to make, because as you know, my food processor died on me. So, I attempted to make this in my blender. lol. The results were a "chunkier" sauce. I also added water and more fresh lemon juice than called for, because it kept sticking to the sides of the blender. Though I can't tell you exact amounts, because I just kept adding. Anyway, again I substituted about 1 tsp of dried basil.


The results, given my screw ups substitutions, were phenomenal! They were soooo yummy and worth the effort.