Thursday, September 9, 2010

Lentil Rice Casserole & Brussels Sprouts w/Water Chestnuts

I survived my daughter's first day of preschool! Well, technically it was only her "Meet the Teacher" day and her daddy got to bring her and stay, while I stayed home with the kids and worked. Next Monday is her first "official" day and I think I may lose it that day, as I have to be the one to drop her off! We shall see.

Breakfast wasn't memorable, so I won't bother posting it today. And snack was another Green Monster - the same one I had yesterday because my internet was down and that's all I knew how to make! It was just as good as yesterdays! Yum-o!

Lunch was delicious, even though it was leftovers. I enjoyed Angela's Summer De-'lite' Chickpea Salad with an orange, cut in a really cute new way (easier for the kiddies to eat). This was soooo good! And the dressing was to die for!

Changes to original recipe:
*I left out the onion, cause I don't care for them raw
*Left out the fresh basil, cause I didn't have any.
*Added a shake or two of Onion Onion to the dressing.
*Added a shake or two of dried Basil to the dressing.
For snack, I attempted my own smoothie, but it was just ok. Next time I would change a few things.

Very Berry-licious Smoothie
Adapted from Taste of Home, June & July 2008

1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup frozen strawberries
1/4 cup frozen raspberries
1/4 cup blueberries
few spoonfuls of plain Greek yogurt

In a blender, combine the ingredients. Pour into a glass. Serve immediately.

Last night's dinner knocked the socks of me! OH SO GOOD!!!

On the left is Angela's Lentil Rice Casserole. It's super easy to make! The recipe noted to bake it at 300 degrees for 1.5 hours. But I needed it quicker than that. So, I cranked up the heat to 400 and left it in for an hour. It was perfect! I added a little bit more salt & some Earth's Balance Vegan Butter on top and it was out of this world!


On the right are fresh Brussels Sprouts with Water Chestnuts. Mine didn't steam all the way through in 10 minutes, but they were still good!


Brussels Sprouts with Water Chestnuts
Adapted from Taste of Home, Feb & March 2008

1 lb fresh brussels sprouts
3 tbsp Earth's Balance Vegan Butter
1/2 c sliced water chestnuts
1/4 tsp sea salt
Dash pepper and ground nutmeg

Remove any loose leaves and trim stem ends of brussels sprouts. Cut an X in the core end of each with a sharp knife. Place sprouts in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 8-10 minutes or until crisp tender. In a large skillet, melt butter. Add the water chestnuts, salt, pepper and nutmeg; heat through. Stir in brussels sprouts. Yield: 6 servings.