Adapted from Martha.
- 1 apple, cored and cut in half
- Nut butter (I used TJ’s Sunflower seed butter)
- 2 tbsp Breakfast cobbler
- 1/2 tsp unsweetened coconut, for garnish
Directions: Core apple and cut in half. Place apple cut side up and add a layer of nut butter, cobbler, and coconut on one half. If making a bunch for a party, serve in jumbo muffin liners on a serving tray.
- 1-3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tbsp ground flaxseed + 1/4 cup water
- 1.25 cup almond milk
- 2 heaping tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp nut butter
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 large banana mashed, left a bit chunky
- 3/4 cup strawberries, chopped
Directions: preheat oven to 375F. Grease a muffin tin and set aside. In a small bowl mix the ground chia and water and set aside. In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients (flours, salt, cinnamon, Sucanat, pecans, baking soda + powder). Set aside. In a medium sized bowl, mix all wet ingredients (chia + water mixture, milk, warmed coconut butter, nut butter, maple syrup). Mix well. Add wet to dry and stir. Fold in chopped strawberries, reserving 1/4 of them to sprinkle on top of muffins. Scoop mixture into muffin tin and sprinkle on remaining strawberries. I made 9 large muffins and I baked them for 25 minutes at 375F. Alternatively you can make 12 smaller muffins too. Baking time might need to be adjusted.
Side Note: I want to dub these the "Orgasmic dipped Strawberries" cause I seriously groaned... out loud... while eating these! ~Amykinz
- 6-8 large strawberries
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (dairy-free)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
Directions: In a small bowl place the chips and coconut oil into the microwave for 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted. Stir well. Add 1/2 tbsp maple syrup and mix. Dip strawberries and swoosh all around to coat. Sprinkle with nuts or coconut if desired. Place in freezer for 10 minutes or so to set. Enjoy!
Lastly, we'll finish off the with dishes we made for our most recent dinner party!
Homemade Chunky Tomato Sauce over Salt-Kissed & Buttery Brown Rice
Homemade Pasta Sauce:
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans of organic diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup butter beans, processed until chunky paste forms
- 2 yellow zucchini (aka summer squash), chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Fresh herbs: Thyme, parsley, oregano, minced (about 1-2 tbsp of each)
- 1 tsp sea salt, to taste (more if necessary)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions: In a large pot place all prepped ingredients. Stir well and cover. Cook over medium heat for 45 minutes.
Salt-Kissed & Buttery Brown Rice
- 3 packages brown rice boil-in-a-bag
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance
Directions: In a medium sized pot add water and bring to a boil. Once boiled, add bouillon cube, remove from heat, and dissolve. Now add 2 cups of rice. Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes until tender, being sure to watch it carefully. Add more water if it becomes dry. When it is cooked spoon the Earth Balance on top and stir well. It will taste DELICIOUS!
While I was busy slaving away at the tomato sauce and rice, my dear sweet husband started on the dessert for me...
Inspired by Starbucks Pumpkin Scones.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole grain spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2-3 tablespoons organic sugar
- 8 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 4 tbsp water)
- Turbinado sugar, to garnish
Vegan Egg Wash
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1.5-2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1/4 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of ginger and nutmeg)
Directions: 1) Preheat the oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment of a non-stick mat. 2) In a small bowl mix the chia/flax egg. Set aside. 3) In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger). 4) Take the cold Earth Balance butter cut butter into dry ingredients until crumbly. 5) In a medium sized bowl, mix the pumpkin, chia/flax egg, and almond milk. 6) Add wet to dry and mix until a ball forms. I got down and dirty and mixed with my hands! 7) On a flour surface place the ball of dough and kneed a few times with your hands. 8.) Shape the dough into a circle and then cut into 8 triangles. 9) Now mix your vegan egg wash by mixing cornstarch and water and heating in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir well. 10) With a pastry brush, brush on the glaze onto each scone. 11) Sprinkle with turbinado sugar generously and bake for 14 minutes. 12) Cool for 10-15 minutes. 16) While cooling, make your spiced glaze by beating 1 cup powdered sugar with milk and spice until smooth. 17) When scones are cool ice the scones and serve with a cup of tea or coffee!
We ended the night full and happy with laughs and a glass of vino. :)